Curatorial Internship at SomoS Berlin
Join the SomoS Curatorial Team!
SomoS Art House in Berlin is looking for a talented, creative, and ambitious intern to join the curatorial team and assist us in producing high-quality and engaging exhibitions and art events.
Since 2012, SomoS has worked tirelessly to support the work of international artists. An engaged exhibition and art event schedule together with a high quality Artist-in-Residence program give us the chance to present and promote the work of talented innovative international artists and curators, as well as local artists.
The ideal candidate for the curatorial internship will have a keen interest in contemporary art with some knowledge of curation and exhibition planning/design and a clear understanding of SomoS and its program. Candidates must be well in progress towards completing their studies in a relevant field such as art history or cultural studies at the time of application.
Excellent English is required for this position, while fluency in German is a plus.
Successful candidates will join a small team and work closely together in a collaborative environment. Students of art history, curation, and cultural management, will learn practical skills regarding exhibition development and implementation. They will gain experience in all aspects of cultural management and opportunities to reflect upon their own professional development. Exceptional participants may also have the opportunity to contribute to the program during their time at SomoS.
The position generally requires a commitment for three months of at least two days per week, preferably five, at 6 hours a day, with flexibility to devote more time during the period directly before and during an exhibition or event. (Exceptions to this time frame can be made for certain university internship periods, or personal circumstance.)
This is is an unpaid internship; SomoS generally only accepts applications from students with scholarships, who are applying for a mandatory internship as part of their studies.
Internship applications are processed on a rolling basis. The internship period can commence as early as October 2019.
In order to apply, please send us a cover letter by email, stating the position you are applying for, and briefly describing why you would like to work with us at SomoS. Please also include a recent curriculum vitae with past education, projects and work experience, if any, and an approximate date on which you would be available to begin work, if selected.
– Administrative Tasks including E-mail and Social Media Responses
– Archival Research
– Sponsorship, Grant, and Fundraising Assistance
– Assist in Communication with Artists, Attend Curatorial and Brainstorming Meetings
– Installation and Exhibition Assistance
– Preparation, Organization, and Facilitation of Events and Projects
– Marketing and PR – Social Media, Press clippings, Newsletter, Blogging
– Greet and Assist Exhibition Visitors, Give Short Tours, Handle Inquiries
– Assist in Documentation of Exhibitions and Artist Interviews
– Fluency in English
– Good German speaking and writing skills preferred
– Superior written and verbal communication skills
– Ability to work independently
– Computer Literacy with an emphasis on Social Media and Marketing
– Relevant Field of Study (Art History, Cultural Studies, Cultural Management etc.) and a strong interest in Contemporary Art.
– Available a Minimum of Two Days/Week, Preferably Five (6 hours p.d.) with extra availability during periods before and during an Exhibition or Event including evening availability.
In order to apply, please send us a cover letter by email, stating the position you are applying for, and briefly describing why you would like to work with us at SomoS. Please also include a recent curriculum vitae with past education and work experience, if any, and an approximate date on which you would be available to begin work, if selected.
We are looking forward to your applications and inquires: email@example.com